Sunday, August 30, 2009

Turn your Handwriting into a Font

I am such a geek when it comes to tools like this. I remember when my sister found a program that allowed you to turn your handwriting into a font about six or so years ago, and as a 15- and 17-year-old, we tried to use it. The program was bulky and complicated, and the results were disastrous.

Today, Lifehacker linked this nifty little tool. FontCapture is a web-based utility that allows you to turn any handwriting into a font. The steps are simple--you print and fill out a pdf form with all the letters you might conceivably use. Next, you scan the document in, and FontCapture turns it into a usable font.

I'm really impressed by the simplicity. I tried it out this morning, and within minutes I had my own font--and it really looks like my penmanship, too. The results are very clean, even when changing the color and size:

The utility is still in its beta stage, but I can already imagine how useful it will be in Web design, comics, digital scrapbooking and more. I know I am going to hold off telling my sister about the tool until after midterms, otherwise she'll be playing with it for days.

Newer Post Older Post Home