Sunday, August 30, 2009

Socialnomics

It's been a while since I had a post on social media, hasn't it? Here is a great find via Matt Cheuvront at Brazen Careerist. The video is a visual summary of Erik Qualman's Theory of Socialnomics, which will be out in stores tomorrow.



First of all, fantastic video. It's eye-catching, dramatic and has had more than 375,000 views in just over four weeks. It's definitely reminiscent of the Did You Know? videos, but I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. The message is similar, but not quite the same, and I think it really exemplifies the collaborative, evolving nature of social media. Taking the video by itself, isn't it incredible how quickly people responded to say, "Karl Fisch and Scott McLeod already did this"?

I usually take social media guides with a grain of salt, but I am interested in picking up a copy of Qualman's book. It looks like Qualman makes an interesting, if not compelling, case. Social media has changed the way we communicate, and organizations are still figuring out what that means to them--I'm still figuring out what it means to me. After all, I spent this morning looking up reviews for the Italian Store, e-mailing directions to my iPod, customizing a map to send to my parents and drafting a blog entry about my Italian heritage (which I'll link to my New York friends on Facebook). In the words of my dad? That is cool.

0 comments: to “ Socialnomics

Newer Post Older Post Home