Saturday, July 19, 2008

Dr. Horrible


If you haven't seen it already, Dr. Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog is a hilarious, musical comedy told through the point-of-view of the villainous Dr. Horrible. My favorite former teenage doctor, Patrick Neil Harris, plays the titular doctor. As a Joss Whedon fan, I was not disappointed. Watch the video at the official site until Sunday night, or purchase the episodes in the iTunes store.

I won't spoil the story for you, but I will say that it left me wanting more. I don't deny my not-so-secret love of superhero movies and comic books, and Whedon does all the right things in his presentation. From a Communication standpoint, I think the project was brilliant, driven purely by online media, and both poking fun and celebrating the "YouTube Culture." I love it, and I look forward to the next Whedon venture.

But until Dollhouse premieres this fall, I've found a new love in Captain Blasto. Captain Blasto has been around since June, but I only just discovered it thanks to io9. The web series follows high schooler Colin Carter as he begins a second life as Captain Blasto, his childhood hero. Colin recruits his friends and neighbors to stage crimes in his small towns that he, as Captain Blasto, will stop. The series is hilarious, and I absolutely adore the comic book style cuts and captains.

After you get your fill of Dr. Horrible and Captain Hammer, definitely give Captain Blasto gander.

Edit: That other Holly at Feministe has a great commentary about Dr. Horrible's Sing-A-Long Blog here.

0 comments: to “ Dr. Horrible

Newer Post Older Post Home