Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Changes for Holly


It's been a little quiet around here lately. I've been in the middle of a fairly big move, and I am finally getting settled in.

Thirteen months ago, I packed my life into boxes, crates and laundry baskets and drove to Washington, DC. My only connection to the city was a friend from college and an internship at a PR firm. In fact, for the first couple of days, I lived out of my car and slept in @lindsaydoll's den on an air mattress. It was very exciting--nerve-wrecking--and incredible.

But I'm someone who likes plans. I make itineraries, set up appointments and schedule my life. I don't blindly run into the fray, and so my post-college adventure was tempered with a plan: If I am not hired as a full time account executive at the end of my internship, I will give myself six months to look for position in DC.

And so, working a part time job waiting tables and tending bar, I began my job search in Washington, DC. I focused specifically on positions in non-profit, but I kept myself open to everything I came across. Sometimes I was called in for an interview, and sometimes I received a polite e-mail informing me the position had been filled.

With Thanksgiving past, I had a decision to make: continue my search in DC while I worked at the bar, or move back to Atlanta and look for a position there. I decided that while there were amazing opportunities in DC, there were many in Atlanta, too, and as much as I love DC, it was time for me to return home. Like 13 months earlier, I once again packed my life into boxes and set out for the next adventure.

"Moving Tools" by Rachel Spauldilng

0 comments: to “ Changes for Holly

Newer Post Older Post Home