Sunday, April 6, 2008

Summer Book List 2008

For the most part, books are in no particular order. Feel free to make your own recommendations.

1. A Great and Terrible Beauty. This is first on my list. I tried to read this last summer, but couldn’t get through the first few chapters. I should like this book, and I feel like such a fraud whenever I read and respond to Ms. Bray’s blog.
2. City of Bone. I’ve admired Cassandra Clare since I first read her Draco trilogy back in ninth grade, and I definitely want to get my hands on her original work.
3. City of Ashes, also by Cassandra Clare.
4. The Empty Kingdom by Elizabeth Wein.
5. What Color is Your Parachute by Richard Nelson Bolles. My professor in Corp. Comm. recommended this to me last December. I haven’t gotten my hands on it yet, but I will.
6. Do Androids Dream of Electronic Sheep by Philip K. Dick.
7. Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert.
8. I, Robot by Isaac Asimov
9. Isaac Asimov: The Complete Stories, Vol. 1
10. Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex by Mary Roach. I loved Stiff, and I am looking forward to picking this up.
11. The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell
12. The Absolute Sandman, Vol. 2 by Neil Gaiman. I am a blossoming comic book nerd. I have the first volume, and I have completely fallen in love with the story, the art and the characters.
13. The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. Total Gaiman fan, too.
14. Dreamsnake by Vonda McIntyre. Ms, McIntyre made the short story on which the novel is based available through her website. It is haunting and beautiful.
15. A Fine and Private Place by Peter S. Beagle
16. Making Money by Terry Pratchett
17. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
18. Ulysses by James Joyce
19. The Godfather by Mario Puzo
20. The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham. I had no idea there was a book until I did a google search following the introduction of a baby Triffid in K. Sandra Fuhr's Friendly Hostility.
21. East of Eden by Johhn Steinbeck. We talked about this novel a lot in class last semester, and I have never read it.
22. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey
23. Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner. Okay, I admit, this one got added on after watching the video for the Kindle and I wikipedia'ed the book.
24. The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. I saw a news release for the upcoming film and looked up the book. I definitely want to read it before the movie is released.
25. Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay. I love the television series, and I have heard good things about the novels.
26. Twisted by Laurie Halse Anderson
27. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. I told you, I have an elephant thing. :)
28. Lucky by Alice Sebold
29. Towelhead by Alicia Erian
30. The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson
31. Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister by Gregory Maguire. I read and loved Wicked and its sequel, but I never picked up Confessions.
32. The Delta of Venus by Anais Nin
33. Oroonoko by Aphra Behn
34. The Unfortunate Traveller by Thomas Nashe
35. Nana by Émile Zola
36. The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri
37. The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison
38. The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides
39. Breakfast at Tiffany’s by Truman Capote
40. The Talented Mr. Ripley by Patricia Highsmith


I am sure the list will grow by the end of May. I love books.

1 comments: to “ Summer Book List 2008

  • Anonymous
    9:37 PM  

    I have one book I'm dying to read by a coworkers husband, and she gave me a copy and it's still sitting on my hutch collecting dust. I thought over spring break I'd get a minute and nothing. I have no idea where all my reading time went, I used to read all the time and now I'm lucky if I have time to read the news paper.

    I miss reading. :(

Newer Post Older Post Home